Research Funding Resources
Here we offer some resources for possible research funding and seed granting programs.
*Please contact us to add others to this list!
- • Third World Academy of Sciences The Academy offers fellowships for postgraduate and postdoctoral training, fellowships for research and collaborative projects, and research grants of up to 10,000 USD for equipment and consumables. Click on the section marked “Activities.”
- • grantsnet.org (Science Careers Grants & Funding) Free database listing grant and training opportunities for students and faculty at all educational levels, including undergraduate. For research outside the U.S., there’s a special “International Grants and Fellowship Index.”
- • UK Department for International Development (DFID) Offers a variety of funding opportunities, including the Small Grants Scheme; the Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund; and the Global Health Initiatives and Global Health Fund.
- • Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Regional JICA in Latin America Provides grants-in-aid and on-site technical assistance and collaboration for development projects and public health research.
- • US Agency for International Development (USAID) USAID works with universities, businesses, and other partners in developing countries. Under “Locations” you can find the regional offices and programs of the Agency.
- • Fogarty International Center, US National Institutes of Health Under “Funding Opportunities,” “Programs and Initiatives,” and “International Services,” you can find guidelines for applying for NIH grants; listings of biomedical research and training grants to individuals; grants to research institutions; and more.
- • W. K. Kellogg Foundation Funding for education and health-related projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. In Spanish, Portuguese, and English.
- • Wellcome Trust Tropical Medicine Programme Offers numerous funding opportunities, including equipment grants, project grants, and training fellowships. Look under “Biomedical Sciences” for listings relevant to Immunology and Public Health.
- • Community of Science Databases Searchable databases of 400,000 funding opportunities and experts in different disciplines. You can also post your own research profile. Institutional subscription required.
- • Third World Network of Scientific Organizations Offers grants for collaborative research involving 2-3 research institutes in the South. Grants can be up to 30,000 USD. One of the collaborators must from one of the 50 nations designated as a Least Developed Country by the U.N.
- • Carnegie Corporation of America Provides grants for international development and education within the U.S. and in countries of the former British Commonwealth. International Development Program (IDP) focuses on Commonwealth Africa with initiatives to strengthen African universities.
- • John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Through its Program on Global Security and Sustainability, the organization offers grants in Population and Reproductive Health for projects in India, Mexico, Nigeria, and Russia.
- • Swedish International Development Cooperative Agency (SIDA) Offers research grants in natural sciences and health research for researchers in developing countries. Click on “Apply for Grants” at left, and then “SIDA’s Grants for Researchers” at left, to find a description of grant possibilities.
- • Canadian International Development Agency Offers funding opportunities for projects in health and nutrition and HIV/AIDS. Find out more at “Your Guide to Working with CIDA” under “Key Resources.”
- • Rockefeller Foundation Click on “Grants and Grantees” along the top of the page for a description of funded initiatives. Has funded projects to create health research networks, to run biomedical research initiatives, and to organize scientific conferences.
- • Ciencia y Tecnologia Para el Desarrollo (CYTED) Offers grants for research projects in Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Portugal, República Dominicana, Spain, Uruguay and Venezuela.
- • UNICEF-UNDP-World Bank-WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR) Lists grant opportunities for projects in public health project areas, such as leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, malaria, Dengue, and tuberculosis. “TDR Grants” lists funding not only for individual projects, but also for infrastructure building.
- • Pan American Health Organization Lists numerous funding opportunities, including graduate thesis grants, research training grants, multicenter comparative study grants, and biomedical research grants.
- • Research Council of Norway Offers short-term research trips for researchers who are citizens of China, India, and Egypt. Also offers long-term research stays for advanced students and young researchers.